65 reasons to give Thanks
Another birthday coming, it is a time for reflection and a reason to give thanks.
So this weeks blog will record my thankfulness, in no particular order.
1. The gift of breath. To breathe deeply is a beautiful gift.
2. The gift of a new day. I have found it meaningful to breathe the prayer, “This is the day You have made. I will rejoice and be glad in it.” Most days I remember.
3. Coffee ☕️ in the morning. I am a blessed woman for most mornings, my dear hubby delivers it to me. I love the slow mornings of devotional time while I sip my coffee.
4. The ability to read. I can’t imagine what I would miss if I couldn’t read, inspiration words, sacred words, words of encouragement, good stories, even recipes!
5. Which leads to the gift of eyesight, being able to see. My glasses are a gift, for I can create art and read without my eyes tiring.
6. And seeing leads to beauty. Just looking out of my window in my bedroom, the other night the full moon beckoned, shining brightly, it was stunning. I wake up to mountains in the distance, trees, and a vibrant neighbourhood.
7. Light, beautiful light! Faithfully the light breaks out of the darkness, every morning, a gift of hope.
8. We are entering spring, my favourite season, it is all about hope.
9. The seeds I planted last week sprouted! Statice, marigold, lettuce, and tomatoes, all tiny sprouts lifting up their pale green shoots, it is the miracle of new life.
10. The gift of shelter. We have a comfortable home, a cozy bed, a living room where we visit, and create, and share life together. I am mindful of those who don’t have this gift.
As I move through my day, I keep noticing, counting, giving thanks for:
11. an exercise video that is just right for me
12. Water out of the tap…
13. A kettle to boil it in less than a minute
14. A new favourite cup to drink my tea in
15. Dandelion tea!
16. The knowledge dandelions will be blooming soon,
17. Bringing with them the pollinating bees 🐝
18. My indoor plants which bring me joy
19. Quilts everywhere that remind me of my mom
20. Art supplies which beckon me to create.
21. The “stuff” that creates a home:
22. a stack of old books on the mantle
23. A bouquet of flowers from my hubby 💕
24. Candles, and an old clock
25. Books, and more books
26. The huge photograph of the mountain we love to visit
27. Angel figurines, symbolic to me
28. Bits of pottery that holds a story
29. Little bird figurines, inside
30. The beautiful sound of birds chattering outside.
31. Pictures of grandkids and family 😊
32. Art everywhere, some painted by dear friends
(And that was just the living room as I sip my morning tea)
Eating is such a big part of our lives, involving most of our senses:
Taste, smell, touch and sight.
I’m thankful for:
33. The joy of creating food to eat
34. The joy of growing food and harvest.
35. The richness of chocolate.
36. The tangy taste of lemon.
37. The smell of bread baking.
38. Sharing a feast with my family.
39. Simmering soup,
40. Nuts to crunch,
41. mints to savour.
42. A fridge full of nourishing food
43. a well stocked pantry.
Life is meant to be shared. I’m thankful for
44. Connecting with loved ones even if they are far away.
45. Telephone, email, FaceTime, zoom, they are gifts of connection.
46. I’m so thankful when I see my loved ones face to face
47. For hugs
48. For meaningful conversations
49. For laughter
50. Even for sharing tears. We share our joys and sorrows.
51. I’m thankful for my children!
52. My grandchildren!!
53. My siblings!
54. Connecting with my dad, in his 90’s.
55. My extended family.
56. I’m thankful for my hubby
57. For holding hands
58. For sharing space, and life together.
59. I’m thankful for lessons learned through grief
60. For compassion and empathy
61. I’m so thankful for dear friends
62. For wise mentors
63. For my faith which sustains me
64. Knowing I’m deeply loved by God
65. For my friend, Jesus.
My list of gratitude is rich and full. Thank you, oh Creator, Abba, Friend, for the life you have given me.